Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Traditions

Our holiday weekend was spent with friends in the best place on Earth. I've lamented before on how much I love The Outer Banks, and, as this was my first trip of the year, I simply couldn't wait! I was itching to stretch my legs in the sun, sink my toes in the sand, and just be

This was our third Memorial Day celebrating in Waves with family friends. Logan's best friend, B., and his family have been camping in the Outer Banks with their friends for over thirty years. They all welcome us with open arms, so it's only natural to fall in place with long-standing traditions. Surrounded by friends new and old, with a dog named Buddy Allan trailing along, life was the sweetest it could be for a few days.

Big, early breakfasts lend to long days at the beach, where coolers are packed with sandwiches and snacks, drinks are cold, games of horseshoes are endless, and skin is bound to redden. Evenings are reserved for corn hole, fish frys, gathering 'round to laugh and gab some more, and, later, when the sun finally sets, bonfires on the beach. When you think you can't possibly laugh or talk anymore, the moon rises over the black ocean, and you get a moment of total peace and serenity. Nothing satisfies my soul more than an empty beach, darkened dunes, and a rising full moon shining on the crashing waves. Snuggling close with my boys in the tent at night, I was lulled to sleep by the ocean. I'm pretty sure I smiled in my sleep.

















On Monday morning, I stole away to the beach for just a few final, quiet moments before we left. I reveled in combing the early morning surf, allowing myself to soak up the sun and peace before returning to our everyday. 

Once packed up, we said our goodbyes and headed off the island. We made an unplanned pit stop at the Bodie Island Light Station. There is something so incredibly proud about a lighthouse, and seeing the Bodie Island light first thing in the morning was a real treat. 








Now that summer has unofficially begun, I cannot wait to throw myself into what's to come! I didn't realize just how much I missed the sun's warmth, cooking out with my favorite people, and simply being outside. Here's to making this summer unforgettable! 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Tempo Theme by Pink + Lola